Friday, February 28, 2014

Definition a Day - Seersucker

This will be my last post for definition a day.  I hope you enjoyed it and learned something new and useful.  I know I have.   Each definition of fabric I have posted I put in a significant amount of thought. What were the determining factors?  Weather, usefulness of a fabric, popularity or lack of knowledge of a fabric, a fabric a student might have asked me about or fabrics seen often on commercial patterns.


This last one, seersucker, my husband suggested it.  Perfect timing because yesterday at work we have a brand new collection of seersuckers.
Kaufman fabrics at Purl Soho  


Seersucker is a very popular fabric in the south due to the heat, popular among the southern gentlemen.  It is 100% cotton and has a puckered look, pulling the fabric away from the skin.   The word seersucker literally means rice pudding and sugar originating from Hindustani.  It was quite popular among British colonies  in the warmer regions.




How is it made? It is made using a slack tension weave, and 10 to 16 threads are wrapped on the warp beam creating a narrow stripe.  The stripes are always on grain in the warp (the vertical).  It is costly to make because it takes so long.  Usually you will find it in stripes or checks.

Time to start thinking about your summer wardrobe! These will make a great dress or button down shirt.

Thanks for reading!

Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment