Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Definition a Day - Lawn Fabric

Quilt using Liberty Tana Lawn, Kaufman Cambridge Lawn and Liberty Bloomsbury Art Fabrics

Since  I started the week yesterday with voile a light weight fabric I thought I would follow up today with lawn fabric.  Lawn is very similar to voile.  It is a lightweight, plain weave, cotton and soft.  Made of combed cotton or cotton blend yarns.  There is a high count of yarns used giving a lovely hand and a silky feel.  One of my favorite fabric companies is Liberty of London and many of their fabrics are made using cotton lawn.  They call it Tana Lawn.

Lawn can be used for quilting and apparel.  Personally I am not a huge fan of quilting with it because it is so silky however I will still probably use it in quilts.  Above photo is a quilt I made for Andy last year using some Tana Lawn fabrics.

When you sew with lawn fabrics it's best to use a size 8 or 10 needle. And there is minimal shrinkage.

Lawn wrap dress from Susannah Dashwood blog

Liberty Tana Lawn

No comments:

Post a Comment