Friday, April 4, 2014

Creating Color Story Boards


Grapefruit Pie at Four and Twenty Blackbirds in Gowanus Brooklyn


As a designer the first step in working on a new line was creating a story board with our inspirations and our colors we were thinking of using for the clothes we would be designing. We would use tear sheets from magazines,  pictures from art trips and spend hours pouring over pantones and trend reports.  I was in design school at a time when computers were starting to be used more.  I would scan my pictures into photoshop and tweek them in illustrator.  That was over 10 plus years ago.

I was reading a friend's blog, Lai Grai,  and she created some color palettes of her palette.  When we worked together at Purl she would play with her palette using skeins of yarn or embroidery floss.  So many colors to choose from! In her blog she talks about a color service called Stylyze.  She discovered Stylyze thru another blog called Leif.  What I love about reading blogs is that you learn about other great blogs! What an easy way to discover new inspirations!

Brookline Mass February 2014 Washington Street 
tan  and neutral threads from my studio


House in Sconset Massachusetts


And my favorite, the Hedgehog.

Hedgehog from Vogue Magazine
Looking for some inspiration?  Check out stylyze. 

Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment