Friday, June 15, 2012

Father's Day gift that can be done before Sunday!



Father's Day is just around the corner and my father is always tough to buy for. I want him to really like and use whatever I give him.  At work we had a great blog project of lovely Liberty of London hankies  for Father's Day. I was thinking about doing these because my dad being of a different generation uses hankies. But I couldn't find a Liberty print he would like, and he is cool with flowers. However nothing seemed to fit him. I finally decided Wednesday to make regular hankies with Kaufman's Cambridge Lawn and embroider them.

What you need:
embroidery hoop (I used a 4")
half yard of Lawn fabric or similar light weight
DMC embroidery floss (at first I used dmc quilting weight cotton on the spool but it was too thin)
needle
transfer (I used a design from Sublime Stitching Book by Jenny Hart


1. wash fabrics
2. iron  and cut fabrics ( I made a 16" square hankie)
3. transfer design (follow directions)
4. Stitch design - I used a seed stitch
5. more ironing
6. fold and steam edges 1/4" and repeat then sew
7, done!

Hopefully these pictures will help you along. Entire job took an hour or so.
You can do it before Sunday and make a happy Dad!









Enjoy and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment