Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Spring time pom pom scarf

Spring time is finally, slowly, coming to New York.  We hardly have had any snow here but it's been quite chilly. Yesterday it reached the mid 50's. Time to exchange the bulky wool scarf for a lighter weight spring time one. Purl Bee posted the cutest pom pom scarf. We have had one hanging on our wall in the store but it is a linen scarf. The new one, from Molly's sketchbook, is double layered cotton which adds a bit more warmth. Perfect for that winter spring weather.
I made one for one of my colleagues at Purl but she only wanted to use one layer. Faye picked out a beautiful grey and white Liberty of London print and hot pink pom poms. Basically she wanted a big square. Since Liberty is a taller bolt (53")  she bought 1 1/2 yards and I cut a perfect square. Liberty is a very fine silky feeling cotton, absolutely gorgeous. Since it is so fine I used a size 9 needle. I sewed a clean finish (also called turned and stitched) on all the sides making a 3/8" seam allowance. To sew the pom poms on I used a zipper foot rounding each corner. And pin, pin, pin! The pom poms are a challenger to sew, using lots of pins will help keep the pom pom tape straight.  Don't cut the pom poms, use one continuous piece. Faye purchased 4 yards and I did have some left over.




 


To see Purl's double layered scarf click here.  Have any of you sewn with liberty of london fabrics or pom poms?
If you have made any version of the pom pom scarf I would love to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment